background

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Are you Running Behind?

Many of you know that Christi and I have started running together since March. We have run over 100 miles since we returned from Israel! This is a big deal for both of us! If you would have met Christi when I did (5th grade Sunday School) you would have never thought that a word that would one day describe her is "runner." We love joking about it! I really am not a big fan of running either. I know I need to stay fit and I know that being disciplined in areas that I am not naturally disciplined is a big deal!

That said, Today I needed to be in the office a little early. So when we went running, we didn't have time to do our normal route. As we are running (Christi starts in the lead, and about half way through we switch places), about 1/2 mile in Christi turns around, begins jogging in place, waiting for me to catch up. When I get close enough she asks, "What do you want to do? Which way do you want to go?" Basically, Lead me...

No kidding, I as saw my wife jogging in place, waiting for me to catch up so that I can lead, the Lord opened my eyes! How many times do men (me included) let their wives lead and are happy just to follow? How many wives are running in place hoping that their husbands will get close enough simply to shout out some little bit of leadership in their family life, in their spiritual life?

I think between the shouting of the world at how unimportant gender roles are and the comfortable spot of not having to lead that many men find themselves in...we are leaving our wives out on a limb. They are stunting their spiritual growth because they are waiting on us. Having a good idea of what the plan should be, but longing for their partner, their husband to utter the words and lead.

Listen to what the Lord says in 1 Peter 3:7--
Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.
 
Men, we are not to put our wives out there to test the waters (Like Jacob did with his as he was approaching Esau). We are to show them honor! We are to value, lead, and protect them as we would a fragile, expensive, valuable vessel.  We can't do that from the back of the pack. We can't do that by letting our wives go their own way or even by letting them run in place. 
 
Maybe our prayers are being hindered by our lack of leading and caring for our wives. So let's neglect the movements that devalue God's commands for us. Let's be a little more disciplined in our lives so that we aren't always playing catch up with our wives. Pick up the pace, dare to lead and put yourself out there first... 
 


1 comment: