background

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Focus on the 40!




I heard someone ask the other day,

"How do you decide if a group photo is good?"

"Who do you look for first?"

Funny thing is... I knew my answer! If everyone in the picture looks great, but I look like a goober...I don't think it is a good picture!  Isn't it funny how we look for ourselves!
       ok, maybe it's just me :)

In my quiet time this morning I was reading Ps. 105! It is a great Passage! The beginning stuck me! It appeared to have a pattern! The first 5 verses really focus on:

What I should do TO God!            give thanks, call (v.1) sing praises (2), Seek(4)
What I should do FOR God!         make known (v.1) tell all (2)
What I should do IN RESPONSE to God!           rejoice (v.3) Remember (v.5)

All of this is True! It is pretty clear that I should do all of these things and God is calling me to action...BUT

Then I read the next 40 verses...my pattern  disappeared into the greatness of God's Faithfulness! The next 40 verses have nothing to do with what I can do for God, they are filled with How God has shown His great love for His people! His has always been good! He has always brought us through! He has always protected and provided for those He loves!

The Psalmist spent 8 TIMES more time sharing about WHO GOD IS and WHAT HE HAS DONE, than he spent on me! In this one chapter, I became overwhelmed with the reality that there are so many times in life that I look for "ME" in God's working, when the truth is...God wants me to see "HIM!"  When I stare at the greatness of God in these 40 verses, my "5" seem like a joy filled natural response, not a chore or a job! In light of His 40, my "5" don't take much at all, in fact, it's kinda silly that I even need to be reminded of them.

So if you want to join me today, take a minute to read Ps. 105...don't skip the "5," but definitely let yourself get wrapped up in the 40!

No comments:

Post a Comment