background

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

This is my Family


I wish I had the patience to put 1,000 more pictures in this collage! I love my family. So often, when I say family, it is just the picture in the middle of them all that people think of. My family is SO much more! It reaches around the world, beyond city limits, across cultures. Outside of my relationship with Christ, it is my most valuable gift in this life!

Do you know what the people in the pictures all have in common? They have been loved by God, but not only that, they have embraced that love by exchanging their life for the life God offered them through Christ Jesus! This bond is more important than blood, borders, and political parties. They win in my book...if anything threatens to rip us apart...it will not stand (or at least I would do all that I can to break down that barrier). I love them so much, if they win and I lose...I celebrate with them. When they hurt, I am in pain. If they they celebrate...even hundreds or thousands of miles away...I do too. If they stumble and fall in their faith, I want to be there to help (not just tickle their ears). Do you know what? I know they feel the same way about me! Family is amazing!

Something has been happening in our family. (The family called the church) Things are dividing us. Preferences. Perspectives. Soft Hearts. Hard Hearts. Can I tell you that I understand, but it's not ok.


My Family has a value system (given by our Father)

A famous Pastor's wife and her husband, in reaction to the harshness of some christians, recently called homosexuality "holy." I have read and reread their perspectives and their conclusions. Honestly, it has little to do with the Bible (although I know they would disagree), but more to do with the pain that was being inflicted on people's lives by the staunchness of God's word...and honestly, the anger of some who have been its conduit. I get it. My heart breaks for this too. Why, because it is a family issue. Those who are in the family and those who I pray will one day be a part of it.  Here's the truth...Eph. 4:14-15 tells us that we weren't meant to be tossed around by crafty, cunning, even sweet attempts to placate those in or outside of our family...instead speak the truth in LOVE. This leads to maturity, growth. That's what I want for my family.

God didn't make us to be saved and still captured to sin. 

I love my family too much to try to make scripture leave them that way. God came to set us all free from the deep sin that has bound us to death. God saved me and my family to know a full life...life that is beyond the trials that ends in hope. That hope, won't disappoint (Rom. 5:5) So, no, I can't encourage my family to think that a life bound to sin is holy...I just love them too much. 

Listen..."speak the truth in LOVE." Church, this means us! We live in a world where it feels like the message is either APPROVE OF ME or YOU HATE ME. I get it. It breaks my heart and often frustrates me too. That doesn't give us a right to stop loving. It doesn't give us a right to lash out in anger. Make threats or laugh when we feel like "our view is winning." That's not how family acts. We ARE held to a higher standard. We HAVE to act, live, speak above the fray. If we don't...we...and no one else...is to blame for the division that is rupturing the church. We can be strong and firm, but still show a passionate love. (I mean, I do it daily with my children...and Christi does it with me!) 

Jesus was truthful with those outside the family, but stern in his correction of those claiming to be in the family. We need to stop yelling at or pacifying those who are lost and hurting in sin's grasp and start correcting and rebuking with God's Word (2 Tim 3:16) those who are acting in an ungodly way towards others. 

You may already assume this, but let em put it in print. Anyone claiming Christ and watering down God's word...you are in sin, stop. You are leading others to death. To anyone painting hate, spewing hate, pushing back, making others feel small or letting your personal bias hurt the church or those for whom Christ died...you are sinning, stop

My Family is Multi-Racial and I LOVE IT!

I was talking to a friend one time that said in their church a deacon teaching Sunday School wouldn't use the curriculum that month because it featured a family that was a different color on it. My blood started to boil! How insane! This person in a slave to sin! If I were his pastor, he would be de-deaconed, de-commissioned and put under discipline to lead him to repentance and restoration. 

Church, especially those who are of my complexion ;) I know that the vast majority, if not all of those close to me know this and agree, but we need to say it out loud...it is not a privilege to be born a certain color. Every skin tone that God has given is a gift! The variety of skin tones in the world is a blessing! We should honor those who look different. Love the diversity. Heaven will look that way...so let's start the party now! This is going to take understanding, and believe me, as we draw near to those who's skin is different, you will find out that you see the world from different points of view. You may even be tempted to say, "that's silly, why would you think about such and such that way." Don't say that. Instead receive it, don't defend, don't lash out, let it settle and speak words of encouragement (Heb. 3:13). Love by listening. I've not been a minority in America, so who am I to say what it feels like? I can love my family, especially those of a different color, and let them know that I am with them. I will care for them as family. I will love them as family. I will defend them as family...because they are. (It's hard to wipe the smile off my face as I write this!) 

Now, tenderly. To those who are in my family, who are a different color or come from a different culture. You are called to minister to those who God has created in a different color or culture than you also. I need to to be alert to the enemy. (1 Peter 5:8).  I'm not talking some mythical enemy, but the one who whispers in your ear. Who tells you to interpret someone's actions or opinion in a negative way. Who would tell you to assume what has offended you is intentional or worse "deep seeded" even "subliminal" hate. Hoping that way is sinning. (1 Cor. 13:7) 

Our Family love, hopes the best. 

Don't talk around to people who will agree with your offense. Go and visit with a brother or sister who has offended you.  Share your perspective and give them opportunity to unpack their words or actions...then trust them. Love them enough to believe them, even if you core struggles with this.

No matter our race, our family is multi-racial and we can't have it any other way. Christianity is not a "race first" religion. It is a Christ first, melting pot religion...Wow! What a masterpiece!


My family is safe...it never needs to worry. 

The election...whew. I have been so careful in how I have spoken about this. Some people I know think I hate "Trump," (I don't) while others believe I hate "Hilary."(again, I don't) I don't know if that means I've done a good job or a bad one. (Truth is, probably both at different times)

I need to open up a little. The Bible is not up for a vote. I can't vote for any platform that directly opposes tenants of the Word. Listen, I know...no party Republican, Democrat, Green, Libertarian, etc has a "bible specific" platform, but for me. their are lives that can't protect themselves that I cannot give up on for convenience. For example, our bodies are not our own, we've been bought with a price.(1 Cor. 6:20) I believe in life. Even those who have sinned so much that death is a sentence...I hope for repentance, not to champion their death. I want our family to grow! I want our world to be cared for and creation to declare God's beauty! It's not about making money...it's about relationship built upon God's foundation and you and I reaching out to those who need that life changing love!

I have spoken with people I love talking of how our laws in the States can't be tied to Christianity. They can't be tied to any religion. As I struggled with this I landed that I have to disagree. You can't have AMORAL VALUES. It is a contradiction. Something has to give a moral direction to our laws...something will...and I believe that the best for our county is for those values to be Christian, God Honoring Values. I believe it works out best for everyone that way...even those who don't worship my Lord.

SO...I have to tell you to didn't vote this time around. NOT BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO. I stood in line like everyone else, pulled out my ID and the volunteer politely told me that my name was not registered. What?! I've voted for the past 22 years! My name has always been on the list. Well, not this year. In the move, Christi's registration change took, mine didn't. It wasn't a conspiracy. It wasn't my plan...it just was. This election was an important one, and God saw fit to leave my vote out. Who am I to get angry?

Now, with that all of my chest. Here is what I need to tell you...God doesn't worry too much about our worldly kingdom system. He isn't threatened. He isn't worried. He sets them up and tears them down. (Dan. 2:21) For those who are struggling with the incoming government. I need to share something with you. I know exactly how you feel. The unspoken secret is that for the past 8 years I know many godly, loving people who were scared...for 8 years straight by the decisions that were made...and were to be made. Let me tell you what I told them. Don't picket, Don't angrily protest (I couldn't find God's instruction for us to protest in scripture) Don't lash out. Don't be afraid. Instead, use your passion to be the church!

I told that to many friends over the past few years and now I say it to those friends who sit on the other side of the table. God is calling you to serve, love, meet needs...standing firmly on biblical instruction...love the bride of Christ and reach out to those who aren't His bride yet. But don't...don't let a human establishment define you more than the family you've been reborn into. Don't let fear turn you against your true family. Use your energy to minister to those who are afraid. Don't tickle their ears, but meet their needs and show them who Christ made you to be.

An African American friend told me once that no president had been treated the way that President Obama was treated...he was right. The way some christians spoke to/about the president was wrong. Some things that were said and done were not acceptable.

Now, I just repeat it, the things being said to, about, done in reaction to President-Elect Trump...church, it is just as ungodly! Both sides...look in the mirror. No President has ever been our Savior, we have to stop acting like that's what we were voting on.  Be Christian...God honoring, Christ loving in your action. I am not giving testimony to character here, just a testimony to how God has called us to act.

We are not defined by political parties...let's be careful not to act like we are.

We are Family.

We should comfort each other when fear is rising. We should rejoice with each other when times are exciting! I love my family. I can't imagine life without you. Some have moved and I love you from afar. Some live near and I love that I get to love you up close regularly. You mean more to me that I can express.

We are better than how we are being defined right now. We are the beauty of the beloved. The bride of Christ, a city on a hill! Let's not let this election or any election divide us. Stand down, but reach out. If you need a hand...mine is here for you. (I know your's is here for me too.) I love you.









No comments:

Post a Comment