background

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Day in Bethlehem

It has been a remarkable week. One of our ladies prayed for it to go by slowly for us, and it has so far! Today we spent the day in Palestine! We ran into a good friend from Ft. Worth while we were there, and that was the biggest suprise of the day!

We only made a couple of stops while in Bethlehem. It is outside of Israel in Palestine. Do you know that 30% of the people living in Palestine claim Christ as Lord. I didn't, until today! Pretty cool!

We stopped at the Shepherd's field first. It is the traditional spot where people believe that the shepherds were told about the baby being born to Mary...Our Savior, Christ the Lord! It was cold and rainy, so we didn't get to spend much time outside on the property. There was a large cave. Shepherds we're known to herd their flock into caves (this one had a wide mouth) to help pen them in at night! I thought this was really great. Way easier to watch sheep when they can only get out one side, than trying to lay them in the pasture and have to guard every side. When I picture it, I think of the words of Hosea, how God hemmed in Gomer so that she would have no where else to turn but towards him...I think that we as sheep, and a wayward wife should be grateful that The Lord holds us safe like a shepherd!


Afterwards we went to the "Shepherd's Tent Valley Restaurant." We sat in groups of about 8 and shared a meal, family style. We joined up with the other group and got to know a couple of new friends! It was a great environment, I know why the poeple love to eat and recline in such a way.


Finally we went to the Church of the Nativity. I have to tell you that I was suprised by what meant the most to me. The church was beautiful and lavishly decorated. You had to bow down to get into the church (I love this, it really can knock the pride out of you if you refuse to be humbled!) The area of the cave is marked where it is thought the manger may have laid and where Jesus may have been born. It was nice. This area was a humble area of Bethlehem. BUT, the most humbling time for me, came when we were standing in line surrounded by Nigerians, Koreans, and other nationalities. I look around and thought, "In Heaven this is what it is going to look like. All of these races and nations waiting on every word of our Lord, with one purpose in worshiping Him. I was out numbered if you count by skin color...I loved it! God isn't color blind, He delights in the colors of His children, and so did I. Oh, I can't wait for that glorious day!"

Attached to the church in another cave is where Jerome translated the Bible into Latin, the Vulgate. I thought this was pretty cool, because this was the first time that people could read The Bible in their common language if they weren't fluent in Greek and Hebrew! 


All in all a humbling day.

I will tell you something if you ever make the trip. It is weird being a westerner here. Christi's uncle, Bill, said it best. The sites we've seen will either be venerated or preserved. Many of these sites have been venerated. This means they have been marked in extravagant ways to glorify God and draw people's attention to them. For me, it has been hard. I don't care about the decor. I don't even care about the rocks or dirt, I care about the event that occured here. The decor distracts me from the event and it is easy for me to become judgemental. I prefer the preserved sites. Don't mess them up, I just want to enjoy them as closely preserved as possible to the time of Christ. While that works best for me, other cultures express their worship in different ways, and what hinders me, may help them and vice versa. So as you see the pictures, or if you make the trip. Remember it is not the work of man that you are coming to worship, but the actions of a gracious Lord.

Tomorrow we head to Ceseara by the Sea, Nazareth, and Tiberius. (Megiddo is on the way, so I am hoping we will stop there too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment