background

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Prayer and Purpose

Well, today is finally here! Tonight at 10pm our plane will head out for Istanbul and then Israel. It is surreal to be honest with you. The Lord has provided perfectly for each leg thus far....He has been our Ebenezer...I know His grace will continue.

So many of you have made certain that Christi and I know that you are praying for us. It really means a lot, because I know of your sincerity and love for us. In my Bible study time this morning I camped in Colossians 1:9-10.  It says, " and so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased praying for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of The Lord, fully pleasing to Him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the the knowledge of God."

The more I considered this, the more joy & confidence I had. Prayer is the most important act in our Christian life. It is when God brings us into agreement and comfort with His will. I am reminded that as you all are praying for us, that God will lead you to lift us up - in exactly the way that God wants you to.  I not only hope that your prayers will be answered, I pray that you will draw nearer to God as He leads you in your prayers for us.

What will your prayers be? Specifically, I don't know that one, but in general, pray that we be filled with the knowledge of His will. When I read this, I thought that this really made sense. As we go to Jerusalem, we will see the Bible come to life! When I think of what filled means, I think of a glass being filled up with water. No room for all that air that used to occupy the space inside...it is gone. I don't want to have questions that need to be answered on this trip, I don't want to have expectations, I want The Lord to set the agenda and fill me with the knowledge of it! I desperately want to understand it. I want it to shape Christi and I indefinitely (& I long to bring that back and share it with you all.)

Our request for you today it that it will do just that. As Paul wrote, we will "walk in a manner worthy of The Lord" as we are in Jerusalem and when we return. That the way we conduct ourselves from the airports, to the shuttles, to the hotels, to the holy sites.... in a way that will be fully pleasing to God. That we will not "spill" His will out, and let ours reclaim any of that space. Pray that every good act that we have opportunity to do...that we will do it, and that The Lord will bear fruit in our lives and those we encounter though those actions. Finally, that our "cups" would grow larger while we travel, so that we will have a greater opportunity to know God, more! Better! Deeper! 

I have a taste of why Paul and John wrote that they couldn't wait to share their joy face to face with the other believers they wrote to....although I don't know what lies before us, I can't wait to share it with you face to face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment