background

Monday, March 10, 2014

He's Lord over the Wind and Rains

Well, we have had a wonderful start to our week here, we saw a ton today...but I need to bring you up to speed on what happened last night, before I bring you to this afternoon!

Last night when we landed at the airport it looked bad, very rainy, thick fog, and weather forecast to stay that way all week! I will try to attach a couple of pictures so that you can see. The fog was unusually thick, the drivers all had on their their hazards, you really couldn't see 10 feet in front of the car. We thought...cold, wet, windy week...not the best environment for our first (and maybe only) trip to Jerusalem. 

We went to bed with the windows open. It was hot inside and cool outside and we decided that high humidity was better than heat stroke! Time change got us a little. I found myself waking up every hour. Around 2am I just started talking to God. I know it was prayer, but it felt like a real conversation. I would think, then He would bring scripture, insights to mind...back and forth. 

We all as a group had decided that The Lord brought us here, and if it was for a wet visit...that was ok. Not our preference, but we aren't the ones calling the shots. (Left to ourselves, none of us would even be here, so what would we have to complain about?) 

Anyway the wind was wild during the night. The streets are so narrow and the walls and buildings, so high, that it would be still one second, and the next a wild/strong winds would suddenly whip by, then a moment later...stillness. As I listened, it was like The Lord opened up the Bible to John 3. You know the conversation. Let me remind you of the part before v.16. Jesus explains being born of the Spirit to Nicodemus and in v. 8 says, " the wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but you don't know where it comes from or where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit." 

That verse took on new meaning. I can imagine Nicodemus thinking. I have heard that wild wind 100 times out of my window. It suprises me by it's suddenness and strength.  His reaction shows the same suprise as I did when I heard the wind last night! He says, "how can this be?" I thought last night, as I heard that wind and thought of that passage...Lord I want to be ok with that! Not suprised by the sudden "stillnesses" of your Spirit's moving, nor by it the direction you wish to carry me, not even by the strength of you movement. I just want to go with it! So today especially, as I heard the wind, felt it, even missed it, I am reminded of how I am subject (joyfully) to His wind, I don't need to know where "that cam from God," nor, "what do you want from me?" I just want to be where it moves!

By the way...today was sunny! And somehow....the forecast suddenly changed for the whole week! Many more days to come that are supposed to look just like today! We'll see. Either way, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment